This set of model food safety documents for a USDA-inspected mobile slaughter unit includes:
- Hazard Analysis Critical Control Point (HACCP) Plan
- Sanitary Standard Operating Procedures (SSOPs)
- Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs)
These model plans have been reviewed by food safety experts, HACCP experts, and policy staff from USDA’s Food Safety Inspection Service (FSIS). But this does not mean that your FSIS inspector will automatically accept these plans for use with your mobile unit.
REMEMBER: these plans are MODELS that must be adapted to each specific MSU. Do not just cut and paste.
If you have not yet taken HACCP training, required by FSIS, some terms in our plans may be confusing. FSIS, the International HACCP Alliance, and others offer many resources you can consult until (and after) you go through training.
READ THIS GUIDE FIRST: It provides instructions on how to use these model plans as well as explanations of specific plan elements.
Version date: March 2011 (revised). Please refer to the Guide for instructions on how to use this HACCP Plan.
- General information page with revision/reassessment signature table
- SSOP-1: Pre-operational sanitation
- SSOP-2: Potable Water
- SSOP-3: Operational sanitation
- SSOP-4: Cooler, Carcass, and Variety Meat Temperature Monitoring
- SSOP-5: Waste Water, Dust, and Fly Management
- Monitoring Logs
- Sample Deficiency/Corrective Action Log
- SOP-1: Live Animal Receiving
- SOP-2: Organic Acid Spray Preparation and Use
- SOP-3: Thermometer Calibration (reference includes log)
- SOP-4: Procedures for Minimizing BSE Risks Associated with Specified Risk Materials
- SOP-5: Generic E.Coli Testing Plan
- Receiving Log per SOP-1
- Organic Acid Spray Log per SOP-2
NMPAN gratefully acknowledges the following groups and individuals for their assistance in developing these models:
- Barbara Thomas, HACCP Coordinator, Island Grown Farmers’ Cooperative
- Terrie Bad Hand and Pati Martinson, Taos County Economic Development Council/Mobile Matanza
- Debra Garrison, Coast Grown Mobile Harvest Unit
- Catherine Cutter and Chris Raines, Pennsylvania State University
- Stacy Scramlin, Center for Meat Process Validation, University of Wisconsin
- Denise Amann, State Outreach and Technical Assistance, USDA-FSIS
- Additional reviewers at USDA-FSIS